Jacklines

Mary Mac
Site Admin
Articles: 0

I am looking at options for installing jacklines for my trip down the California coast. Do any of you have a setup you like?
Mary
1978 Cal 34-III #111 Marina Village, Alameda, California
GBR3068

I have four Wichard folding pad eyes on the cockpit walls
https://www.landfallnavigation.com/wich ... YNEALw_wcB

The aft pads have plenty of space to fit about 6" up from the cockpit floor and 6" from the rear wall where the engine controls are. The forward ones sit 6" up from the drains and about 3" aft of the drains. Bolt through around where the coolant is (on my boat anyway). There's room up there.

Plastimo line doubled up fits around on three sides. A long tether lets me get into the cabin.

Two big Schafer pad eyes on the front of the winch boxes.
https://www.landfallnavigation.com/scha ... iKEALw_wcB

One pad eye/bow ring mid foredeck.

Distance is just enough to run a Plastimo line all round with tensioning lines aft on both sides. Double short tether for on deck.

I swap tethers on the stainless dodger rail, but a couple more pad eyes on the front of the cockpit or roof would make it a bit safer to go between cockpit and deck.
HaroldBeer

On our Cal 2-27, I have two webbing jacklines (I had a local shoe repair sew eyes onto one end of each) from a bow cleat on each side to a track mounted cleat. (Mind you, we have hanked-on foresails, so need to go all the way forward). I tether to the windward side.

Jacklines go on anytime we cross Lake Michigan, at night, or when we expect winds over 15 knots.
It's pretty much like reefing - anytime you ask the question 'Should I put a reef in?', you should put a reef in. 'Should I put the jacklines on?', the answer is yes.

An old Coast Guard Master Chief used to say: Safety is no accident. Have a great trip!
Capn ken

dont forget Man Over board drills !